Monday, July 29, 2013

Monday, 7/29/31: Monday Running Trivia *OR* Chronicles of a Burning Man

I ran an identical route last night and this morning.  Yeah, maybe it would be good for me to vary my route a little, but as the end of July creeps up on me, I'm looking for routes whose distance I know by heart.

Distance:  5.78 miles (x2)
Pace:  Last night:  10:15 min/mile
          This morning: 10:50 min/mile


Time for Monday morning running trivia!

Question:  Why do marathoners wear band-aids on their nipples?


Answer:  Sweat is filled with sodium.  As technical t-shirts (designed to move excessive sweat away from the body to aid in cooling) soak up sweat, they also soak up sodium.  When the water in sweat evaporates, the sodium doesn't; it stays in the shirt.  After a few hours of sweating, a tech shirt's texture can start to resemble sandpaper, which, when rubbed on sensitive skin (like nipples), can be very, very painful.

Yep. You started your Monday with a horror story about sandpaper on nipples.

Last Saturday, I went to Laurel Lake in southern Kentucky with my Bible study group from church.  We rented a pontoon boat and spent the day swimming, jumping from the second story of the boat (which we weren't technically allowed to do, but... yolo), and floating around on the life preservers. I didn't apply any sunscreen that day, because the day started out mild and cloudy and stayed that way for most of the day.  The sun made an appearance for a while, but, overall, it was very overcast.

Remember when you were a kid and your mom would tell you to put on sunscreen on a cloudy day, and you'd get mad at her because she knew nothing and you knew everything and 'The X-Files' was never going to be cancelled?

Turns out, your mom was right. And 'The X-Files' was cancelled.

My face was somewhat burned (I actually had enough brains to put some sunscreen across my nose and cheeks), but my shoulders and arms got fried pretty thoroughly that day.

Fast forward to last night.  With a sunburn barely 24 hours old, my technical shirt soaked with sweat (and thus, sodium) became an object of torture across my braised skin.  When I got home from the run, I seriously considered cutting myself out of the shirt so I wouldn't have to pull it off over my head.  This morning wasn't so bad (I'm going to assume it's because I lost most of the burned skin last night to the cheese-grater-like action of my sweaty shirt), but it was still pretty uncomfortable.

The moral of the story?  WEAR SUNSCREEN.  Or be comfortable enough with your body to run shirtless when you're sunburned.  Or, aloe. Like, LOTS of aloe.


At least this morning I'm able to have breakfast at North Lime Coffee And Donuts, a fantastic local business that makes the best donuts in the city. From their window I can see this phenomenal mural on Al's Bar next door.


Total July miles to date:  90.33





No comments:

Post a Comment