Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tuesday, 7/23/13: Pains of Procrastination *PLUS* 2 New Product Reviews!

Yes, today is Tuesday. Yes, I'm posting about last Friday's run. I've been procrastinating.


I hate putting off posting my runs. 

This was my longest run since my last half marathon, at the end of April. Because I put off recording the run, I don't remember what the weather or temperature was like, or even when I started (that image says 6:38, but I'm pretty sure it was 5:38).  I did eat TWO energy products on the run (reviewed below!), so I'm sure that they helped with the excellent distance and pace. 

So, if there's one thing I can take from this experience, it's to post my runs immediately to make best use of all this data I'm collecting. 

In case you're keeping count, I'm up to 54.95 miles for the month of July. I still have a week left, and a lot of miles left to log!  

Anyway, about the things I ate on my most recent run.  


Jelly Belly Extreme Sport Beans 
Stats: 
 - Weight: 1 oz. 
 - Calories: 100
 Good Stuff: 
 - Potassium: 40mg 
 - Sodium: 80mg 
 - Carbs: 25mg 
 - Vitamins b1, b2, b3, and C (amount undermined, but the package claims they're in there). 

First of all: if you pick these up and expect the flavor of standard Jelly Belly beans, you will be sorely disappointed. As far as flavor goes, these are NASTY.  It's not just that they're salty, from their sodium content: they're sour, and not the good kind of sour, like Sour Patch Kids. The BAD kind of sour, like, "Oh man, these things aren't supposed to be sour.  Holy crap, these are nasty."  Also, I think I dropped half of them because I was trying to pour them into my mouth while running. I'm probably lucky I didn't choke.

And now, product number 2. 

(This is an old picture of the product. I actually had a grape flavored one) 

Cliff Kid Organic Z-Fruit Rope 
Stats: 
 - Weight: 0.7 oz
 - Calories: 70 
Good Stuff: 
 - Potassium: 120mg 
 - Sodium: 5mg
 - Carbs: 17mg 
 - Vitamin C: 20% daily value 

Maybe it was just the fact that I ate this after choking down a package of Sport Beans, but this one tasted AWESOME.  It's sweet chewability seemed to alleviate my thirst, which was also a major plus after the face-puckering sourness of the Sport Beans.  



Unfortunately, because I ate both of these on my run, I'm not able to give much analysis on the effectiveness of either of them alone.  However, the flavor alone may be enough to keep me from trying the "cherry" Sport Beans again. I'll have to try that product again in a different flavor.  However, if that's also terrible, I might be turned off of the product all together.  

Initial Sport Beans impression:  D (terrible flavor, awkward shapes, and the sharp corners on packaging poked me through my running shorts!) 

Initial Z-Fruit Rope impression: B-  (good taste, wish it had more calories and carbs, LOADED with potassium, and easy to fold into running shorts pocket). 



No comments:

Post a Comment