Friday, July 26, 2013

Friday, 7/26/13: Graham vs. Courthouse Rock

Confession: I didn't run yesterday.  Sorry if that's shocking but you're the one reading a blog called 'Runner Confidential'.

Yesterday, I DID, however, go hiking with my youth group kids. A ninety-minute drive from my fair city lies Red River Gorge National Geological Area, a state park literally world renown for its rock climbing, hiking, and geological formations. Myself, two other adults chaperons, and four youth group kids decided to tackle five miles of trail and, ultimately, Courthouse Rock. 

That monster is Courthouse Rock. It rises about 80 feet above Auxier Ridge in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky. 

In order to climb this beast, we had to shinny up a crevasse in the side of the rock, visible in the picture below (which I didn't take; I found it at The Running Yoders, another great blog about running and outdoor adventures). 

That. I climbed up THAT. 

Halfway up, I actually started to freak out, and I didn't think I could keep going. But, seeing as how a 13-year-old girl (the only kid who climbed the rock) was climbing behind me, I couldn't turn around. Now I'm glad I didn't, because WOW, was the view worth it! 



Even though this is a blog about running, and I'm recording RUNNING mile for the month of July, I think I'll still tack on 5 more miles. With as sore as I feel this morning, and for the scant moments I feared for my life, I think I deserve it.

Total miles in July: 78.77

No comments:

Post a Comment