Thursday, July 11, 2013

Thursday, 7/11/13: Three belated runs, *PLUS* How YOU can do something great!

First, I have three runs from this week to log, because I've been lazy and haven't updated in a while.

Sunday, July 7:
Start time: ~8:30 PM
End time: ~9:14 PM
Time: 43:44
Distance:  4.70 miles
Pace:  9:19 min/mile

Monday, July 8:
Start time: ~5:45 AM
End time:  ~ 7:26 AM
Time:  1:40:22
Distance:  9.32 miles
Pace: 10:46 min/mile

And finally, this morning's run:

Thursday, July 11:
Start time: ~5:58 AM
End time: ~ 6:56 AM
Time: 58:12
Distance:  6.12 miles
Pace: 9:25 min/mile

I love running by Billy's Barbecue in the Chevy Chase area of High St.  The restaurant smokes all their daily pork early in the morning, which makes the entire street smell like bacon. My stomach growls for the entire way home.



Normally, this is the place in the entry when I share some flash of insight I had while on my run. Occasionally I give little snippets of running advice (always to be taken with a grain of salt, because I am FAR from a professional). But I've got a more important use for this blog today.

Trinity Hill United Methodist Church, where I regularly attend (and am on staff as the youth ministries assistant) always hosts a 'Back to School Bash' every August, in which schools supplies are given away to needy families in the area.  The local needy community relies on this every year to ensure their children are prepared for the new school year.

So, I started thinking:  "What can *I* do to help?  I'm just a high school teacher/ runner/ amateur blogger."  Then my friend Erica and I dreamed up the MILES FOR MISSIONS project (thanks to Sarah Bailie for the catchy name!).

I am seeking generous people to sponsor every mile I run in the month of July.  Any amount will do:  $0.25 per miles, $0.10 per mile, or even $0.05 per mile.  And if sponsoring per mile isn't your thing, you one-time donations are also greatly appreciated.

All money donated (yes, every single cent!) will go toward the purchase of school supplies to be given away to needy families in the Tates Creek Rd. area of Lexington, KY.  Your donation is completely tax deductible, and receipts for tax purposes can be provided.

If you're interested in helping needy children receive the materials they need for a successful school year, you can contact me:
 - by Email
 - on Facebook
 - or on Twitter

So far, I've amassed 27.74 miles this month.

I'm shooting to hit at least 100 miles over the course of July!  With your help, needy children can be ready for the upcoming school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment