Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Wednesday, 6/3/13: Running with friends!

This is my second post from Destin, FL. In case you missed the last one, I'm currently here as a chaperone on my youth group kids' high school beach retreat. 

Last night, two of my youth kids and one of the other adult leaders expressed interest in running with me this morning. They wanted to go at 7:00AM, which I thought was kind of late (I went at 6:00AM yesterday, and the sun was already high in the sky). 

Then I realized something. I hardly ever run with other people. And I came on this youth trip to invest in the lives of these kids. If they wanted to run with me, then it didn't matter how late they wanted to start, how far we went, or the pace we kept. What mattered was that we were going out together and sharing the experience. 

It must have been ordained by God that we go out this morning, because even at 7:15 the gray cloud cover hid the oppressive Florida sun. We ran all the way to Winn-Dixie and back (around 3.6 miles), kept a good pace, and even made small talk most of the way. Afterward, we cooled off with a dip in the ocean, and I treated the guys to a cinnamon roll at Bad Ass Coffee, a coffee shop a block from our house. 

I didn't keep exact pace or weather conditions today, because this was a fun vacation run. And like I said in my last post: when it comes to vacation running, don't sweat it. Just have fun!

Also, not 15 minutes after we got back, this started: 


(And it's hard to tell from the picture, but there's a steady rain coming down)


No comments:

Post a Comment