Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday, 8/5/13: The Real Role of Rest *OR* Race Crazy

It's been a week since my last post, and I've only done one run since then.  I didn't bother recording it because it was nothing special (under 5 miles, crappy pace).  But this morning I decided to tackle a long run.  The first one in more than a week. And I was very pleased with the results!

Start time: ~6:20 (I slept in this morning)
Start temperature: 58 degrees F
Distance: 13.07 miles
Time: 1:55:58
Pace: 8:52 min/mile
Food before run: 1 cup shredded wheat (unsweetened), topped off with milk.

First and foremost:  YOWZA! Look at that pace! I was like lightning this morning!

Before I toot my own horn further, there are many factors that are probably contributing to that pace.

1.) First (and probably foremost), the app I use to record my runs auto-pauses whenever I'm stationary.  So whenever I had to wait at a crosswalk and got a few seconds of much-needed rest, the timer wasn't actually counting.  I guess you'll have to take my word that I didn't stop every mile and refresh myself with a rest, all the while cheating my running app.  If I was going to cheat on my runs, why bother running in the first place?

2.)  This summer has been Lexington's most mild summer in many, many years.  Last year, I would have never seen a morning in August at 57 degrees.

3.)  It had been four days since I last ran.  Not fighting fatigue or injury, I was able to push myself this morning.

4.)  I ate a little before my run (I haven't done that pretty much all summer), and I refueled with Sport Beans during the run.

I took this picture during a crosswalk stop.  

And I think it's time for me to break up with Sport Beans. I first reviewed the product in this post, and said their nasty flavor was the primary factor that kept me from going whole hog on them.  This package boasted "assorted" flavors, which makes sense, because every one of them tasted like ass.  Sorry, Sport Beans, but for my money, I can find a product that does your job just as well while tasting much better.  

And, come on... a resealable package?  Who's going to reseal a measly one-ounce package?  


On another note, I've signed up for several races this fall!  

August 10:  I've signed up for BOTH Warrior Dash Versailles and A Midsummer Night's Run. The former will be my third Warrior Dash; but in that race, new locations always bring new challenges. The latter is Lexington's premier annual 5k, celebrating their 28th year.  I'm running these races with my dear friend Hillary (her blog can be found here) and a few friends from church. Pictures from both races will be posted!  

October 20:  Last year I swore I'd never do another Tough Mudder. I guess I'll never learn, because I signed up for it again. If you're running and you'd like to join my team, send me a message!  I'll gladly give the team name and the password for you to join!  

December 7:  What would fall be without a half marathon? The Christmas on the Country Music Highway Half Marathon will be my smallest race (the website says its limited to 300 participants!), but it's also the most affordable half I have ever done. I registered last week for $40.00!  

March 29, 2014: Yes, I know it's still months away, but I can't say enough about the Run the Bluegrass Half Marathon.  This will be my fourth year in the race, and what started out as a small race is growing into a renown celebration of all that central Kentucky has to offer to the global running community. I am always impressed with this race.  If you can make it in before the race sells out (they sold more than 10% of their spots in the first four days of open registration), I highly recommend it! 


Yeah, I know... there aren't any full marathons on my race schedule.  I'm actually waiting for registration to open for the 2014 Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon to open!  Runner's World magazine has toted this race as one of the most fun in the entire country.  I can think of no better place to try to beat my old, embarrassing marathon time of 5:13:39. I'll keep you posted, dear reader! 


UPDATE: Results from Miles for Missions Project!  
If you've read some of my earlier posts, you know that I participated in a project called 'Miles for Missions', in which I raised money to buy school supplies for needy kids by running during the month of July.  Unfortunately, I didn't hit my goal of 100 miles for the month (only hit 90.33). Fortunately, my sponsors were very generous, and I was still able to raise $231.85 for needy kids!  Thanks so much to all who donated so generously!  






No comments:

Post a Comment