Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A Fun and Muddy Weekend, with a Head Cold Chaser

Last Saturday, me, my girlfriend Hillary (I've mentioned her in previous entries), and our friends Shannon, Caleb, and Tyler ran the Warrior Dash in Versailles, KY. It was my third Warrior Dash, and Tyler's second, but it was the first experience for the rest of our crew (which we dubbed 'Team Lowered Expectations').

Our "before" picture 

Our "after" picture. Not sure what happened with the black bars on this one. 

For those of you who've never done a Warrior Dash (or similar mud run), I highly recommend it. I consider myself a fairly intense runner, with my daily runs focused on how they'll improve my performance on race day. The Warrior Dash is nothing like that, and that's what makes it so much FUN. No one does a Warrior Dash to set a personal record. It, and similar races, are just for the sheer joy of running and to tackle things you never thought you could. 

The worst part about this Warrior Dash was the lack of water. Not to drink; there was plenty of that. But when the race was over, and we were covered in mud and looking for somewhere to clean ourselves, there was no water to be found. The water trucks had run dry by the time we were finished (around 2:30), and another truck didn't arrive for nearly an hour later, when we had resolved ourselves to driving home filthy. 

I mean, really. It's a mud run. Thousands of people are going to need to clean up. You didn't bring enough WATER? 




After a good shower and a two-hour nap, Hillary and I met in downtown Lexington that evening for the 29th annual A Midsummer Night's Run 5k. It's almost more of a festival than a race, because the vendors and spectators turn out in droves.  The city was beautiful and night, and thought we didn't break any speed records, it was a blast to get two 5Ks under our belts in the same day!  



Rewind to Saturday morning. I woke up with a scratchy throat, but didn't think anything of it (that happens often when I leave the air conditioner on).  

By Sunday, my throat hurt worse and I was having body aches. 

Monday, my tonsils felt like rocks in the back of my throat. 

Tuesday, my throat felt worse, and I had developed a hacking cough and sinus pain. 

Today, my sinuses are killing me, I'm still coughing, but at least my throat feels better. 


What the heck, body!? I to do two 5ks in the same day, and suddenly you turn on me? I try my best to keep you in shape!  My teaching experience was supposed to prep my immune system against head colds (or whatever I managed to pick up). 

So, I've not been able to run for a few days. But the weather today is beautiful, so I might take some time to myself when I get home from work and try to go "mind over matter" on this cold. 

I'll return from the run with pictures!  Until then, check out this great article from Runner's World about 10 bad running habits and how to break them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment