Friday, June 14, 2013

Friday, June 14, 2013

So this is my first post in almost a year.  But I've decided to get back at it.

I haven't stopped running in the last year. In fact, the last year has been quite a milestone, in terms of my running. I ran my first marathon in Las Vegas last December (5:13:39 ... yeah, I know, slow as molasses, but I was happy that I simply finished).  I ran a Tough Mudder last October, which was incredibly difficult but a lot of fun.  I ran two half marathons in the spring.

The last year has also been a milestone in difficult life changes.  My wife moved out of our house a little over a year ago, and even now our divorce still isn't finalized.  I also started a new job, and taught my first year at the high school level.  During the process of adjusting to living on my own, coming to terms with my failed marriage, and facing a lot of facts about myself, running was a healthy outlet.  At times, my life felt like it was falling apart. But I still set goals. I even achieved some of them. What I didn't do, however, was keep this blog updated with my running achievements.

But the darkest days are behind me now.  Summer is here, I'm running more than ever, and I need to keep myself accountable.  And this is also for you, those on the internet who have made it through a difficult time with running.

Today's run:
Start: 5:50 AM (approx)
End: 7:33 AM (approx)
Distance:  9.25 miles
Speed: 11:08

My speed has suffered.  Though I qualify this as a "long" run, I need to get myself back up to 12 miles. I haven't done a run that long since December, and if I want to get back into marathon shape by the fall,  I'm going to have to whine less and train more.  I also walked for a while on this run, which I NEVER used to do on this distance.

It's mind over matter time, I guess.

On a side note, Lexington, KY is a great city to run.  Here's a picture I shot this morning when I was out.


No comments:

Post a Comment